Chorus York is an exciting group for anyone looking for a musical challenge in a fun atmosphere.
To schedule a voice placement, send in a résumé, call 905.884.7922 or email us at info [at] chorusyork [dot] ca to schedule an audition or for more information.
Attention at the voice placement is given to your level of preparedness, rhythmic precision, intonation, blend, and the ability to adapt to directions from the conductor.
We achieve balanced sections through limited membership. Singers must re-audition annually.
The final say as to who is right for the choir and who will join rests with our Artistic Director.
To join us
- Send in a résumé outlining your vocal and choral experience
- Come sing with us for a few rehearsals
- If you like the experience, we will do a voice placement and chat about our compatibility and to review our mutual expectations
- Call 905.884.7922 or email us at info [at] chorusyork [dot] ca to schedule a time and for more information.
- We will do a few vocal exercises to establish range, voice colour, dynamics, etc.
- You can sing a solo piece of your choice if you wish
- You will sing three choral excerpts from the repertoire rehearsed during your time with us
What we expect from our singers
- Have prior choral experience
- Possess good sight singing, good ear for intonation, and a blending voice
- Be able to sing without vibrato at will
- Be willing to learn
- Come prepared to rehearsals
- Display a positive attitude
- Actively participate in promotion, fundraising, tickets sales, etc.
Members of Chorus York are independent learners, conscientious and prepared, team players, able to take and follow direction.
What you can expect
- Top notch musical leadership
- Relentless demand for perfection
- Interesting repertoire
- A challenging and fulfilling experience
- A chance to sing great music and do it really well
Our rehearsals take place weekly on Tuesday evening from 7:00 to 10:00. Focus during rehearsals is placed on: ensemble, intonation, blend, style, vocal technique, and sound production.